The good doctor is FINALLY back in! After over seven and a half years since the release of The Bob Newhart Show season 4, Shout Factory is finally releasing the complete series. Unfortunately when I say the complete series, I mean exactly that; Shout Factory is releasing a box set of all 6 seasons, however there is no release date scheduled as of right now for seasons 5 and 6 on their own. I, like so many fans of the show who have already bought seasons 1-4, was disappointed when I first heard that there was no scheduled release for the final 2 seasons on their own. As time passed from the initial announcement, however, I decided that I was still going to buy the complete series. My reasoning for buying the complete series when I already have the first 4 is simple; the complete box set is probably going to be more compact and cut down on storage space, and I can always pass off or sell seasons 1-4.
For those of you who have never seen the Bob Newhart Show, I cannot recommend it enough. Running from 1972-1978, it starred Bob Newhart as Chicago psychologist, Bob Hartley. Bob lives in an apartment with his wife Emily (played by Suzanne Pleshette), and their eccentric air navigator neighbour, Howard (played by Bill Daily). Bob's best friend is Jerry Robinson (played by Peter Bonerz), an orthodontist who works in the same medical building - and right across the hall - as Bob. The show is filled with other great cast members, such as Bob and Jerry's secretary Carol Kester (played by Marcia Wallace), and Bob's most neurotic patient Mr. Elliot Carlin (played by Jack Riley).
One of my favourite episodes came from season 4, entitled "Over The river and Through the Woods." In the episode, Emily goes out of town - I believe the premise was that she was going to Seattle to spend Thanksgiving with her family, but Bob didn't want to go. With no Emily, Bob decides to invite Jerry and Mr. Carlin over, seeing as how neither of them have anybody to spend thanksgiving with either; Howard also ends up coming over when the plans that he had had get cancelled, leaving him alone on Thanksgiving too. Hilarity ensues as the guys get drunk from watching football games and order a bunch of Chinese food (mostly Moo Goo Gai Pan).
I cannot say enough good things about this classic comedy show, which should be in all TV lover's collections. I definitely recommend ordering it, but I would act fast! It gets released on May 27, and the initial price for it on Amazon was $78.60; however, as of writing this, it has gone up to $93.79 - which is roughly $15.65 a season. I would absolutely act fast and order it before it goes up again. I will provide a link for amazon below, for those who are interested.
Bob NewHart Show Complete Series
No comments:
Post a Comment